Have you been charged with an OVI? Operating a vehicle under the influence (OVI) is a crime in Ohio.
This charge can have negative consequences on your life.
If you were charged with operating a vehicle under the influence, a lawyer in Montgomery County, OH, can defend you.
At Gounaris Abboud, LPA, our compassionate attorneys help people who face OVI charges.
We aim to get your charge reduced or dismissed so that you can move forward with your life. Here are a few things you should know about our firm:
- Our lawyers have a combined 50 years of experience representing criminal defendants,
- We have a 4.9 star average out of 203 Google reviews,
- We are on the Ohio Super Lawyers® List,
- We have a 10/10 “Superb” Rating from Avvo, and
- We are listed on The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
If you would like to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys, contact us. Keep reading to learn more about OVI defenses in Ohio.
When You Should Hire an OVI Attorney
When you face an OVI charge, you should hire an experienced OVI attorney in Montgomery County, OH. You want an OVI attorney who will use every defense available because this charge can have a lasting impact. An OVI could have consequences for:
- Your employment,
- Your housing,
- Your ability to get student loans, and
- Your ability to get custody of your children.
Handling your defense on your own or with a public defender is usually not in your best interest. You may not know the legal strategies that can help you in court. A public defender may be too overworked to give you the attention you deserve. Hire a DUI defense lawyer in Montgomery County, OH, who will fight for your freedom.
When You Should Not Hire an OVI Attorney
Hiring legal counsel usually gives you the best chance at defending yourself against an OVI charge. However, some people may not be able to afford a lawyer. If you’re in a tough financial position, these circumstances lessen your need for an OVI attorney:
- You’re a first offender, and the prosecutor offers a standard plea bargain for first offenses;
- Your offense doesn’t include aggravating circumstances, such as injuring another driver or pedestrian;
- Your blood alcohol content is just barely above the legal limit; or
- Your public defender has an unusually light caseload.
We can’t in good conscience recommend that you represent yourself or use a public defender. There’s simply too much at stake for you. However, every defendant’s circumstances are different, so we present those options. Hiring an experienced OVI attorney in Montgomery County, OH, usually gives you the best chance at reducing an OVI’s impact on your life.
Common Defenses to OVI Cases
When you meet with an OVI attorney in Montgomery County, OH, you will discuss the circumstances around your charge. Your OVI attorney will share available defenses to use in court. Here are some common defenses our attorneys use:
- A physical disability caused you to fail a field sobriety test;
- There was a faulty breathalyzer reading due to machine malfunction;
- There was an incorrect breathalyzer reading because an officer wasn’t trained to use the machine;
- You lacked English comprehension;
- The officer performed an unlawful traffic stop; and
- The officer used unlawful questioning.
We choose the legal defense most likely to succeed for you. Our goal is to get your OVI charge reduced or dismissed.
Get Our OVI Lawyer’s Opinion About Your Case
When you need a skilled defense attorney, reach out to the legal team at Gounaris Abboud, LPA, for a free consultation.
We’ll advise you of your legal options and prepare an aggressive defense.
We want to protect your rights and reduce the OVI’s impact on your life.
Call our knowledgeable attorneys at 937-222-1515, or contact us online to start your OVI defense.