Penalties for a DUI in Ohio may vary but are always very disruptive and dangerous.
The penalties may range in severity depending on whether or not you took BAC (blood alcohol concentration) or field sobriety tests and other evidence obtained by law enforcement during the incident of the arrest. If you have prior convictions, your penalties will likely be more severe.
In Dayton, if you have a veteran attorney on your side, you may be able to defeat the charges in court or have the charges reduced to “physical control.” Physical control means the defendant was in the driver’s seat of a car while intoxicated with the keys in possession on your body or to hand – the vehicle was not in motion.
The penalties for Physical Control are not as severe as for a DUI charge.
Regardless of the degree of punishment you are facing, make sure that you have a Dayton DUI attorney by your side to fight on your behalf! Schedule your free case evaluation to get started today!
What are the penalties for a DUI in Dayton?
For a 1st DUI conviction within 6 years, the penalties are as follows:
- Jail time will consist of a minimum of three days or probation with a driver intervention program. The maximum jail time which must be served is six months.
- License suspension of 6 months to 3 years
- May be required to install DUI plates on the vehicle or an ignition interlock device.
- Fine of $375-1075.
For a 2nd DUI conviction within 6 years the penalties are as follows:
- Minimum jail time consists of 6 days or 3 days with a driver intervention program. Up to six months in jail.
- The minimum fine is $375.00. Up to $1075.
- License suspension of 6 months up to 3 years
- Mandatory yellow DUI license plates and possible interlock device installation.
To avoid these harsh penalties, team up with the top OVI and DUI lawyer in Dayton. The attorneys at Gounaris Abboud, LPA have experience as magistrates, prosecutors, and acting judges. This kind of experience can be crucial in a DUI case, as the more you know about how the prosecution will proceed the more likely an effective defense strategy can be initiated.
Hire a Dayton DUI attorney with an outstanding legal background who is dedicated to helping clients recover from DUI charges.