We hear about car accidents all the time, but no one thinks they’ll be the victim of one.
According to the Ohio State Highway Patrol, there were 817 deaths caused by car accidents in 2018. Unfortunately, thousands more are seriously injured in Ohio car crashes.
If you have been the victim of a car crash in Ohio, one of the first questions you may have is how to hold the at-fault driver accountable and get the compensation you deserve. You may also be wondering: do I need to hire a car accident lawyer to get compensation?
We want to explain how to get money from a car accident without a lawyer and to give you more information about how an Ohio car accident attorney can help you recover more than if you pursued a claim by yourself.
[Watch the Video]
Filing a Car Accident Claim and Providing Evidence
After being involved in a car crash in Ohio, you need to file a car insurance claim. If you want to submit your claim without legal representation, make sure you do the following:
- Report the accident to your own insurance company within a specific period after the accident to be eligible for compensation.
- Only provide facts to the insurance company. Do not give them information about your opinion or any other subjective details. If you do, the insurance company could use your statements against you.
- Provide evidence of the other driver’s fault. This includes taking pictures at the scene of the crash, gathering witness statements, and getting a copy of your Ohio car accident report.
- If you do not get full compensation through an insurance claim, you may need to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver.
Hiring an Ohio Car Accident Lawyer Can Increase Your Compensation
While it may seem appealing to handle your claim on your own, it is essential to know that working with a Dayton lawyer can improve your chances of getting compensation and can increase the amount of compensation that you get.
Hiring an Ohio personal injury attorney can almost double your chances of getting compensation and may be able to increase your payout by thousands of dollars. A car accident lawyer can use his or her experience to help with the following:
- Negotiating with the insurance company to get a reasonable settlement;
- Handling conversations with the insurance adjuster;
- Framing evidence to support your case, and working with accident reconstruction experts to prove that the other driver is responsible;
- Negotiating with the at-fault driver’s lawyer to get a reasonable settlement; and
- Advocating for your right to compensation if your case goes to trial.
Get Help from a Dayton Car Crash Lawyer
While you do have options to seek compensation on your own, a Dayton, Ohio car accident lawyer will improve your chances of getting the money you deserve.
Contact Gounaris Abboud for more information.