Car accidents are some of the most stressful, frightening, and traumatizing experiences for all involved. Their unexpected nature leaves us caught off guard anytime we are in one, and this alone can be an incredibly debilitating aspect of the entire experience. No one wakes up in the morning anticipating a car accident that day, which is why most people are generally too frazzled to follow the protocol they should once they’ve been in one. However, it is vital you follow certain steps after a car accident, in order to rectify the situation as much as possible, and protect yourself from being blamed.
If you are in a car accident, make sure you do the following:
- Stay calm as much as you possibly can.
- Check for injuries, and call for an ambulance if necessary.
- Call 911 to notify the police of what has happened.
- Turn on your vehicle’s hazard lights and move your car to the side of the road, so you aren’t in the way of other cars.
- Immediately exchange information with everyone else involved in the car accident, and record as much of it as you can.
- Do not sign any documents unless it’s for the police or your insurance agent.
- Do not apologize, as this can be misconstrued as an admittance of guilt.
- Notify your insurance agent immediately.
Contact Our Dayton Personal Injury Lawyers Today
At Gounaris Abboud, LPA, we have over 50 years of experience in protecting your rights following an injury caused by the negligence of another. If you or loved one have been injured in a car accident due to no fault of your own, our Dayton personal injury lawyers will relentlessly advocate on your behalf. Whether you missed work, suffered emotional distress and pain and suffering, or simply feel the burden of expensive medical bills, we intend to fight for the compensation you deserve. With us on your side, you won’t ever have to worry about obtaining justice–we will do it for you.
Schedule an initial consultation with us today by calling 937-222-1515.